WESTBROOK, Minnesota (STPNS) -- Westbrook About 8:00 a.m. an explosion shook the entire house of Merlyn and Sandy Hubin on Elm Street. According to Hubin they were still in bed when the explosion shook the whole house. Quickly arising Sandy Hubin went to the garage door and cracked it just enough to see the entire garage engulfed in smoke and flame.
They left the house out the front door and called 911 to report the fire. Hubin said the Westbrook Fire Department was quick to respond. Shortly after both Storden and Dovray Fire Departments showed up to assist with fighting the fire. After about an hour the fire fighters had the blaze under control.
When it was all said and done the garage was completely gutted and a fairly large hole burned through the roof over the garage and kitchen area.
Hubin said there was a fire wall between the house and the garage so that kept the fire from entering the living quarters of the home. However several of the rafters were destroyed above the kitchen and dining room, and a lot of the sheet rock in that area was water damaged.
Two vehicles were totally destroyed a late model Chevy pickup and a Toyota sedan were in the garage.
Hubin said they speculated the blast was caused by a propane gas leak, and when the L.B. White space heater they were using ignited, it ignited the L.P. Gas which had accumulated in the garage.
The Hubins were able to remove most of their belongings which are being cleaned by a restoration firm from St. Cloud. They are now living at Peterson Estates. Hubin felt it would probably be several months before they can move back into their home. But he commented, we were lucky to get out safely.
© 2013 Sentinel Tribune
Westbrook, Minnesota. All Rights Reserved. This content, including derivations, may not be stored or distributed in any manner, disseminated, published, broadcast, rewritten or reproduced without express, written consent from STPNS